View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Variance revisited HUCASH vs HUTRN

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no, i set up the game in terms of bb, i never said how much we were playing for (and it shouldn't matter).

[/ QUOTE ]
And this is the crux of the matter.

You think it shouldn't matter.

But it absolutely DOES matter, which you've conveniently proved by deriving the variance for a 100BB stack vs a 10BB stack.

Your formulas show that the variance of pushing $100 at .5/1 is exactly the same as the variance of pushing $100 at $5/$10. 21.7BB * $10 = $217. 217BB * $1 = $217. (which is, again, quite obvious, because it's the exact same move).

How you can mathematically prove something, and then claim the opposite, is completely beyond me.

If we *were* talking about $100 100BB vs $10 10BB stacks, then you would be absolutely correct. The variance of the $100 stack would be much, much higher than the variance of the $10 stack. Again, this is obvious. The $10 stack is only risking $10 at a time.

But that's not the situation we're talking about, and *they are not the same*.

You've got some *serious* BB vs dollar confusion issues here, which is really at the root of all of this.

Step back away from all of this for a moment, and consider:

If I put $100 in as a 60% favorite, over and over, there will be some amount of variance.

Is there any possible situation where I can put $100 in as a 60% favorite and come up with a different number for variance?

[/ QUOTE ]you're a troll, i'm done with you