View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Republican Senator pleads guilty to lewd conduct in a men\'s room

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Count me as a leftist who fits the description Goldberg lays out: I don't give a whit if Craig wants to have an anonymous tryst with the guy in the next stall. It's not Craig's personal conduct that offends me. It's his long-time membership in the holier-than-thou-moralizing-windbag party, that demonstrates time and time again its leaderships' rhetoric about respecting family values is nothing more than a bunch hot air meant to exploit the Christian right.

So despite the claims of adios about what he hears on Air America, I think this is the vast majority of criticism Craig has faced from the left: it's not that he wants to hookup with random guys in the bathroom -- most leftists I know are more than happy to let Craig have at it, sans judgment, if he wants.

No, the critics chide the fact that Craig spends his day job riding the moral high horse, exploiting his conservative Christian constituents and touting "traditional family values", which most everyone correctly notes is nothing more than right-wing code for "we don't like gays, single mothers, or sex education in public schools!", while simultaneously engaging in behavior he so ardently claims to oppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the issue is denouncing politicians that are hypocrits, then I'm all for it. I think we should all agree that one's private actions and public positions should match. However, where are you DVaut (and your friends in the MSM) on liberals who don't always practice what they preach?

For instance, polliticans who moralize on issues like the environment, while blocking wind mills that might interfere with their view of the ocean? Or those who drive SUV's, fly private planes, and live in mansions that require a lot of energy to heat/air condition, while lecturing me about energy conservation?

I hear Democrats moralize on issues like poverty, and how they care so much more about the poor than the Republicans. Then you see tax returns on some of these people and their charitable contributions are very modest. Isn't there some hypocrisy there?

And my favorite, the issue of public schools. I hear politicians moralize all the time on how horrible school choice programs are, and how we must support the public schools. And where do a lot of these politicians send their kids? To the public schools that they champion? Um no. They send them to private schools.

If a family values politicians engages in lewd behavior, then nail them to the wall on hypocrisy charges. I am with you DVaut. But if you have any consistency, you will join me in condemning liberal politicians whose private actions don't always match their public policy positions on certain issues.