View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Got my copy a week ago and its great. Its nice to see a poker book that presents some genuinely new ideas and ways of thinking about the game. Thanks to Matt, Sunny and Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is any of this really "new", or is it a lot of concepts that decent players have known for a while that have just been given a label and presented in an organized way? Don't get me wrong, the book is very good and well-written, I just found myself feeling like the book was aimed much more at beginners than I thought. I mean, if you even halfway understand the advantages of short-stacking, SPR theory isn't exactly ground-breaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a certain sense there is nothing new to discover about NL holdem (or any other form of poker). However this book presents new ideas in the sense of presenting ideas that have not been published before. Of course any thinking player is probably aware that the size of his stack relative to the pot is important, and doesn't need PNL to tell him that. However, PNL presents a more detailed and (most importantly) a quantitative analysis of SPR. I think that many people's understanding of SPR prior to reading PNL would be along the lines of "I want to play sets with deep stacks", "I want to play TPTK with not so deep stacks", etc ... What PNL does is tell you exactly how deep you should be, why you want it to be that deep, and how to go about achieving that. This level of analysis is certainly new in the poker literature. Of course, I'm sure that many good players had worked this out for themselves, but no one had previously written it in a book.