View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Re: NL10, set oop, villain plays good, drawlike board

Hi all,

A very interesting hand and great discussion here. Here's my take on it.

1. Pre-flop. I initially agreed with waffles that you should only raise medium poket pairs here (77 and on). But the reasoning behind the raise is that he has a good but not great hand and you want to take the initiative in the hand. If 77 is good for that, so is 33. You have a good read that he bets out when he hits so you can use that to wrestle away pots when he doesn't look strong on the flop, but in order to have fold equity you need the PFR.

2. Flop and turn. I think your bets are good but the best line here IMO would be potting/ over-betting it on the flop and betting 2/3 pot on the turn. This way you make sure you deny them the odds at each opportunity. Calling 2/3 pot on the flop with the flush draw is not a mistake IMO, but a little more than the pot is.

I think diferrently about the turn call. It would make me believe he either has a weak made hand or a draw. If he has you on the turn and he knows it he needs to raise as there are a lot of cards that can either beat him or kill his action on the river.

3. River play. Some of us seem to believe the river bet is weak. Please let me know why and what ammount you think would be a good bet there.

I think more than 2/3 of the pot on the river is a reasonable value bet. I think I would have also made it considering my thoughts on the turn play - if he has a second best hand he may still call my value bet here.

When he raises we know we're dead. I play NL10 and NL20 and I think the rule is that a river raise is not a bluff 90% of the time. He believes he has the best hand and weather it's a flush or a straight we are beat.
You say that your read on him is that he is a cautious post flop player - would he go all in here with AJ? Even if you are right and the turn call is a made hand, what made hand does this that we can beat?

Overall good hand except for the river call.