View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: A Modern Reading List for High School?

dcasper, I will definitely look into that book. I figured it was something business related (which is a slight turnoff for me, shrug). It sounds really interesting. And I like you as a poster, so I'll trust my gut that I like your reading recs.

peter, length is an issue yes. But also, the objective for this was to try and modernize a little bit. Personally, I still think that DQ, RC and the likes would be entirely useful for todays youth (disclaimer: I haven't read those, but it extends to other very old texts I HAVE read).

The problem is moreso that you can't just teach those because the kids probably will get bored of reading the same "dense" material that they aren't interested in. I figure I could choose one or two, but I can't use up half my list on books they won't ever crack open. I guess?

DB, during one of the OOT or Lounge book clubs, that I always want to join and never got around to reading, I had Old Man and the Sea and never opened it. For some reason, it has little appeal to me off the top. Hopefully, your rec and other peoples praise will get me to read the dang thing.