View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: I thought this was supposed to be a good flop...

[ QUOTE ]
WTF is up with people and their "I don't want to raise preflop because a bad flop might come"???

Have you forgotten the really simple preflop fundamentals? You have a big eq. edge, just push it and move on to the interesting streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are first to act with a marginal hand. It will almost always be a marginal hand against 3-4 people post-flop, unless you flop a set. You have the worst possible position; you are likely to make mistakes much larger than your ~6% preflop equity edge. The pot becomes bigger, so everybody is correct in peeling the flop. You will make a mistake playing this hand. If you raise preflop, you practically must bet the flop. You can not check raise, and even if you could the pot is bigger so it matters less.

If you keep the pot smaller by giving up a little edge, you may do better post-flop. Also, you still have the option of check raising, and of seeing the action before you. You are basically eliminating your positional disadvantage on the flop by blind-checking.

I think realizable equity is an important concept. This is similar to saying pocket deuces have an edge over, say, AKs preflop; this is true, but I'll take AKs any day, especially OOP.