View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a sports writer!

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of sports writer are you? Do you write the high-school wrap-ups or are you a columnist? Do you aspire to be a big-time columnust someday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question...here's the short summary:

Started as a stringer (answering office calls, office work, answering calls from high school coaches with game summaries)

Moved to a larger stringer role where my office duties increased and I was sent to cover high school football games and various sporting events that needed a small amount of coverage.

From there, whenst I showed I could write, and write well, I was given the role of a all-around coverage reporter. Here, my main responsibilities became covering a major local Division II program, covering lesser major league sporting events (IHL, Arena Football, Olympic Trials, etc), and training new stringers.

Also,at this time, I was given the responsibility several nights a week of doing the agate page in the paper. For those of you who don't know, this is teh page with odds, tv/radio listings, etc.

After this, I was granted a prestigious summer internship (keep in mind, during these years I was in college) where I was basically granted aa job for several months. Here, I covered MLB, NFL, NBA, WTA, ATP, PGA, LPGA and was assigned columnist duties as well. Got to write features and really get a comprehensive look at the industry from an insiders view.

So, in summary, I definitely wasn't a super sports writer or some established columnist. Basically, just a college kid who kicked ass in the industry as a freelancer for 5 years, got a taste for a summer of what it was like to be a staff writer and then, accordingly, said....sianora!

Keep the questions coming...