View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: flop top 2 but I fold

Read would be helpful, but on such a wet board I'm not folding here. Villain could have any pair with either a straight or flush draw, J9, Q9, any combo draw, or a flopped straight here. Almost everyone raises 99, JJ or QQ preflop so he probably doesn't have a set here.

As an aside, I think that the big raise means he may actually be less likely to have the straight - a lot of poorer players would minraise, or even flat call with the straight here.

It is a difficult spot because so many cards are scare cards on the turn, and you can't really get it all in on the flop, but I think I call and pot any blank turn (probably intending to call a shove, but its difficult to say for sure without any reads). Virtually impossible to say what to do on an 8, 9, T, K or a heart without a read. I would bet 2/3 -3/4 of the pot if I filled up on the turn.

Final point is that, if you are sure enough that he has the straight to fold, you probably have the implied odds to call to catch a Q or a J on the turn - he isn't passing a straight if you do catch.