View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Frustrated Poker Players on ESPN

I think I posted this, I was playing in the "Ante up for Africa" event and Shannon Elizabeth semi lost it when her AA got cracked by AJ. I also flopped 2 pair on her and check raised her on the turn after she aggro-ed off 2 bets. She looked at me and I smiled and said, well I can't call you and I said "that was sort of my goal actually, considering the last card might make you in some weird way". But her overall attitude was, "you might not know who I am but I am Shannon Elizabeth, professional poker player".

The attitude (Joe Hachem is by far the worst at this) comes from seemingly being ordained because you won something once. No one begrudges any of them the fact that there 55 held up against AK one time but the what you are saying does get annoying.

All of that said, they are only human, I have found myself frustrated in the manner that Phil Gordon was and I have actually said something to my opponents. It is difficult when you are getting miracled by players that believe they need to play to get lucky. There is a reason you only see a numbnuts hitting a 2 outer, good players fold in those situations.

I don't think Chris Moneymaker is thinking at all about the few times he got lucky and in fact he almost always had the worst hand when he won in this event. There is just a weight that is on you and because you lucksacked once you figure that at some future point you should be able to lucksack again. Unfortunately, the probability on that might be against you.