View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Frustrated Poker Players on ESPN

[ QUOTE ]
At which point, I was thinking, Jamie should just shut up, play his cards, and stop trying to win every single hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what you say about the players on your favorite sports team? "You've won in the past, so stop trying so hard to win right now?"

Its the competition. Competitors want to win. Its that simple.

It doesn't matter what you have done in the past. You are playing in the here and now, and you want to win here and now. All of the emotion that comes with the desire to win shows in the moment, in this hand in this game.

A professional athlete on your favorite team that has won previous championships doesn't say, "Ah, what the hell, I've already won a bunch of these. I don't care if I make any plays this game." He plays to win at that moment in that game.

Over the long run, each of the poker players on TV may be content to some degree with their success and their bank account, but we are watching them express the desire at that moment -- win.

Previous success doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue to push yourself. That's a primary difference between winning and losing players.