View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 6: Position/Hand Reading/FIP

QTip,

I think there are some creative ways you can handle the conundrum you and Gelford are talking about. To answer your question about if you limp and button makes it 4x, I would call in that spot in the book example because in our example the effective stack is 200bb. But I assume you guys are talking more about in a typical capped 100bb setting.

You have a few options. Folding is one of them, but I see what you're saying about wanting to exploit a loose-raising button. Some of it depends on how the button will play postflop. If he'll get overly crazy on c-betting, three-barrel bluffing, etc., you can call pf (even though you'll have an awkward SPR) with the plan of being profitable by taking certain passive postflop lines to let him hang himself. But if he's smart postflop - i.e. - applies just enough pressure without hanging himself, you can think about some other options. What will he do if you open with a min-raise? Will he 3-bet with the same range he'd raise with? Will he tend to call instead? (Either way is better for you SPR-wise.) What if you limp min-reraise him? He'll almost never fold any portion of his opening range, and you'll have a better SPR, plus initiative.

-S