View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Black market schools

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a world of privatly owned schools there will always be some cost to the parent, right?

What happens to the kids of the junky/breadline/neglectful/lazy parent who refuses to, or cannot, pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

There will be those. However, there are those now, and there are also those who attend school but for all practical purposes get no education. You have to ask whether we'd be better off overall, not whether some individuals might fall through the cracks. There's a point where the expense of leaving no child behind exceeds its value.

Also, I still don't see why providing education for the poorest of the poor requires providing schooling for 100% of the population. Yes education is a necessity, and it's horrible to think anyone goes without it, but food is the same way--even more so because without food you die. We have a private market that does a pretty damn good job providing plenty food at affordable prices (despite being artificially propped up). Yes, we have food stamps for a small portion of the population (and even then, the people are issued vouchers to buy what they choose...what a novel idea), but hardly anyone is calling for 100% government funding of food. (And just imagine what that would taste like!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that the gov. should provide 100% of schooling, I have no problem with parents sending their kids to private schools. Vouchers for schooling sounds like a great idea.

The desire for food is a basic need that everyone understands, there is no need for the gov. to pass laws making eating compulsory. Education is different, it's almost as vital but some parents, and a lot of children don't realise this.