View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: which poker pro is the most educated ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no name professionals who are highly educated. Computer science and engineering degrees are only applied mathematics. They are middle range degrees. A Law or Medicine degree is 3 times more difficult to achieve. And any dumbo can become a patent attorney. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leveling??? Otherwise wow.....just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtfff @ bold part (bolded by me). Are you implying that theoretical math is higher education than applied math?

EE's are so much better at math than math majors it's not funny.

Middle range degrees, LOL! What "high end" undergrad are you supposed to get before you become a doctor or lawyer? Think that through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wonder if some of you guys have any idea of the difference between pure and applied mathematics...

And for those who really want to know:

Mathematics is both an art and a science, and pure mathematics lies at its heart. Pure mathematics explores the boundary of mathematics and pure reason. It has been described as "that part of mathematical activity that is done without explicit or immediate consideration of direct application," although what is "pure" in one era often becomes applied later. Finance and cryptography are current examples of areas to which pure mathematics is applied in significant ways.-http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept/What_Is/what_is.shtml

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that concerns itself with the mathematical techniques typically used in the application of mathematical knowledge to other domains. - Wikipedia.

Applied math is simple, compared to theoretical math. Very few people can succeed at it because it involves the creation of mathematics. The idea of "sets", for example, has been around less than 110 years. Applied mathematicians merely make deductions from what theoretical mathematicians have created. Ask Chris Ferguson, David Sklansky or Barry Greenstein if you don't believe me. Or read, 'A Mathematicians Apology' by G. H. Hardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this, it would have to be Matt Damon, obv.

NCAces