View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 6: Position/Hand Reading/FIP

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3. Hand # 7 in fundamentals in practice. I FINALLY found where this was in the book! “You might delay a round if a large # of cards could ruin your hand, provided you could still get all in on the turn or river. In this hand, only a few cards were really bad, so reraising the flop was the right idea.”

OK. This is a concept I know has caused a lot of confusion in quite a few posts I’ve seen. It reminds me very much of SSHE concept of waiting for the turn to raise confusion that happened a # of years ago. At any rate, I posted this hand a couple weeks ago . Where I was trying to apply this concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, that's interesting. I'm not sure your play was that bad, although i liked the twenty-ninth president's advice to raise so that one caller leaves a pot sized bet behind, giving you some room to maneuver, better. But on the other hand, if we knew what they actually had, we'd want to get all-in on the flop. right?

Let's try to make a list. Delaying the bet might be good if your opponents

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are likely to outdraw you,
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are likely to call on a blank turn, but unlikely to call two bets on flop and blank turn,
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are more likely to call on a blank turn, than you are to call on a scary turn,
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] have made hands bigger than yours often,
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] they are likely to bluff a blank turn.

ad 1: you can't be afraid of a longshot draw. If villain draws to three outs, our equity edge in every dollar that enters the pot is so big that you can't afford not to bet for value.
ad 2: This includes cases where the stacks are short enough that one bet means an all-in. If villain is unable to lay down a draw on the turn, you might as well put him all-in then.
ad 3: This is crucial: you have to be able to see when you're beat, and deep enough to lay your hand down. On a 3-straight, 2-flush board that can be hard. If the turn in your hand is the 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], completing one of the draws, do you lay it down to the flush, or do you bet to keep the straight draw from hitting.?On this flop, if you delay, every draw becomes a 15-outer.
ad 4: Obviously, one of the two opponents in your hand could already have a straight. Then you are the guy who is drawing.
ad 5: I've stacked quite a few villains recently who riverbluffed their missed draws. Normally you want drawing hands to pay you off before they know whether they hit or not, but if they pay you off anyway...

In your hand, 1. applies, 2. probably doesn't since you are pretty deep if you flat call, with shorter stacks maybe yes, 3. doesn't since you can't really see when you're behind, 4. is unlikely, but possible, and i don't know about 5. So, i like a raise more than a call in this case.

For hand #7 from the book, several of the conditions apply, but the first doesn't. But add a flush draw to the hand, and you might be better off waiting for a safe turn to bet. In PLO, this would actually be a pretty common play.