View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Getting into Biking

[ QUOTE ]
I never liked used bikes. seems like they get alot better every year. 1000 dollars 2 years ago isnt as good as 1000 dollars now. I know it's going to be cheaper. but i never thought it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this, at least in regards to a roadbike (mountain bike is much different), a $1K roadbike from 2 years ago is going to basically be the exact same as a $1K bike today. And as long as the bike is even remotely maintained (and by remotely, I mean as long as the dumbass who owned it kept the chain lubed and didnt wash it with a pressure washer, or leave it out in the snow), then the wear and tear on a roadbike is exceedingly minimal. I've seen 10 year old road bikes that ride as good as the day they were brand new.

My first roadbike was a specialized allez, cost me exactly $1K. Was 9 speed with a campy veloce groupo. I put like 20,000 miles on it and then it sat in my garage for a while cuz I bought a new bike. I sold it to a friend for a $150. It was 6 years old and in as good a shape as the day I got it, and could easily go another 20K miles. The person I sold it to got a bike that would do them every single bit as well as a brand new $800 bike, only they got it for a fuckton cheaper, and if they decided the didnt like roadbiking were only out $150, plus they had plenty of money to buy a helmet and lycra and all the other stuff you need for cycling that eats up a huge chunk of change.

A used bike is about the smartest thing anyone looking to get into cycling can do.