View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
 is offline

Default Re: **Official 2007 US Open***

It's come a long way and ten years ago it was still embarrassing at times but I still don't feel that women's tennis is so good that I want to spend time watching it for several hours a day.

Do hardcore golf or basketball fans watch the Wnba or Lpga?

Certainly to take one obvious example, soccer fans do not watch women's soccer but yet somehow for a lot of people, to a degree where it's at times been more popular than the men's game, tennis is different. Especially with the american audience it seems like.
Don't get me wrong though, I do think it can easily be argued that quality wise, tennis could very well be THE women sport practiced at the very highest level.
More than any other.
The competition has obviously become fierce and the talent pool must be larger than in any other women's sport.

Still is it really that much better if you make comparisons between the differences between men and women in other sports?
Personally I don't think so and I'll still largely be skipping their matches for reasons that are similar to why I don't watch women's soccer or women's golf.
I watch far too many sport as it is already so when I do I generally want to make sure I'm watching the best.

Having said all that I do understand why it's become popular.
The hotness factor (though i feel some are way overrated) has already been mentioned and the way the different games advanced through the late 80s and 90s I can understand why to a casual fan with a different perspective, a women's match may look more entertaining.

Strangely enough though, eventhough it's better quality wise than it ever has been I've actually been losing some interest in the men's game as well.
Not sure what it is but there doesn't really seem to be that many truly interesting players around anymore like there used to be just a few years ago.
So yeah I'm not some kind of quality fundamentalist. I need people who can capture my fascination as well and right now in the men's game there aren't that many who are able to do that.
I'll be rooting for an unlikey Safin run I guess.

STILL with Djokovic coming into his own, he can be scary good, and Nadal and Federer obviously, this could be a great tournament.

Murray comebacking should be interesting too and eventhough everyone keeps improving making it more and more difficult for Roddick, he IS usually very good in this tournament.

And btw, I voted men.