View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about golf

[ QUOTE ]
i realize that you are probably going to tell me that i shouldn't worry about driving distance or anything, but i'll ask anyway.

i feel that i am ridiculously short with my game. i can PW to 115-125, but i can't drive past 150 or 175. should i be able to hit longer than that? my best woods club is probably the 5-wood or 3-wood. i don't touch any irons higher than a 6 in my bag. how can i start driving to 225?

i am 5'10", 140 lbs. i used to have a terrible slice with every club, until i started using a strong grip and worked on my takeaway. now i hit a slight fade, but i still struggle with hitting it thin, although this summer i worked hard on it and became much more consistent.

edit: i am also a high handicap, probably in the 30s. i feel pretty bad holding up the course, so i've only played a full 18 holes once, so the HC number is really unreliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely need to be hitting the ball farther.
The problem is, I can't see your swing so I can't pinpoint what it is. So lets just go over a few things:

Stance:
Make sure your feet are atleast as far apart as your shoulders are, with the driver alittle more wont hurt and is ideal imo.

Takeaway: Are you hitting the ball too high? Try taking a longer lower swing. Your ball will go lower and more velocity instead of height.

Backswing: Is your club parallel to the target? One thing I like to key on is: When ur at ur backswing ur belly button should point behind you, when u finish ur belly button should be towards the target.

Wrist action on downswing/lag: Ex. Sergio Garcia. meh this causes inconsistency, unless your not using any at all we will skip this for now. Actually, i have a good tip for this but if im not there to watch you can really [censored] up your swing.

Also at address, make sure your hands and wrists are slightly ahead of the ball, making sure your left arm is straight. Your club + left arm should equal a straight line basically . In what I have been taught, don't start with a "V" a la Freddy Couples.