Thread: NL 10/20 Deep
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: NL 10/20 Deep

Raise size is too much. You want him to think his pair is beaten or his SCB is caught or his draw is worth pursuing (see below). I actually think it's a fine time to semi-bluff as the 8 probably didn't help him. Exactly JT might be a little hard to believe, but you want to communicate you have *something*. Huge raise like this does not look like JT at all. Aggressive player in position thinks, "That smells weak... I can take that." I'd flat call with a wide range in his spot and see what I catch and what you do on the river. Aggressive players don't like *calling* with 2nd pair or worse - shouldn't take a big raise to get him off a hand like that.

Why do you want him to pursue a draw? Well, if it's a flush draw it should be pretty obvious. You don't mind a straight draw either, though. If your flush hits you value bet - hopefully he's got enough (like a straight!) to call you. If your flush misses you bluff; if he missed his straight being out of position is actually an advantage. If you miss and he hits it doesn't hurt you any more than if he had TP.