View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: I didn\'t want to build a pot oop

[ QUOTE ]
Those who are advocating a flop bet...can you expand on your reasoning why?

Is it a value bet? If so, are we expecting a call from 88/1010/Jx type hands? Arent we more likely to get a call from those hands on the turn/river if we check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main point of the thread and basically sums up why I think this is a well played hand. We'll get a lot more value by checking and betting the turn and/or river by either inducing a bluff or by getting more value from Jx and 9x.

To those who say that we are revealing our hand as marginal or weak this is true, but most opponents aren't going to recognize this pattern of checking the flop OOP when we have a decent hand with showdown value but not enough to bet purely for value on multiple streets.

I believe that vs most opponents we'll get more value by checking the flop and "showing weakness" than by betting. Obviously this will change as our opponent changes, but I don't see keeping the pot small and inducing bluffs in this situation as a bad play. In fact I think it's the best possible play and one I make often.