View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Flush draws: When to keep going and when to give them up?

[ QUOTE ]
Over the last two months, my starting four-flushes have only completed 18% of the time...and of those that have completed, 22% have still lost. These numbers seem abnormal to me. Are they?

P.S. I'm not looking for a math probabilities-type answer. I'm familiar with 7-Card Stud Flush Completion. I'm more interested in tactical advice on playing flush draws on 4th street and beyond.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obv you're familiar with the math in these spots, and obv 18% is way out on the tails of the probability curve for completing a 4 flush (even if you count those hands where you pick up the draw on 5th st). This kind of huge mathematical slump can make even great players question their game and play with a defeatist attitude. But, on the upside, if your statistics are accurate then I think you have already found the root of your EV slump... you're running cold! This is way better than finding that you've been playing poorly since cards will always eventually even out, just don't alter your game too dramatically so that when they do you can maximize your profit from them.