View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Taking notes at a live game

I take notes for every session, but usually I take them during a break or when I've quit. The only downside I can see for taking notes at the actual table is that it will indeed unnerve some people, as it will draw attention to you and make them realize that you are studying them. This usually will have only minimal consequences but will sometimes cause a major episode with the delicate ones. Additionally, it might distract you a bit because you'll be more focused on recording many past events rather than keeping really tuned to the immediate action. Try to use the most efficient shorthand possible, and I would keep the notepad small and out of sight. Draw as little attention to yourself as possible and just tell them "it's a grocery list" if they ask.

In general, you probably are going to find that your memory development is more important than major note-taking. Usually your note-taking is more important for the recording of who comes when, and what the more salient patterns are of the game and its juicier regulars. Online usually lends itself to more note-taking because of the lack of human interaction.