View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Villain gives up the lead

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the stupid question, but what should be going through my head when I call the flop check/raise? I didn't really have a plan except fold to a largish bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main justification for calling the flop checkraise is that Villain might check the turn. I'm not sure you really even need a plan, really, beyond your actual plan of folding to more pressure, since your hand is far too weak versus someone who's looking like a rock to take much more heat.

FWIW, I probably would have called the checkraise too, but when I do that with the plan of seeing what Villain wants to do on the turn, Villain always follows up with another bet. Or that's how it seems sometimes. Sometimes that bet isn't very big, though, which is kind of annoying when I have a weak made hand and I feel like I'm being strung along but is nice when I have a draw.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I checked the turn, he checked a blank river, any value here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose Villain might pay off a small bet if he has a PP (hoping you missed your flush draw), but I think I'd be too curious what Villain played this way and would take the showdown to make sure that I found out. Plus, it's entirely possible Villain has a hand like KQ or KJ and is simply worried about his kicker.

I often have a hard time trying to figure out what to do on the river in NL, though, and I don't claim to know what's actually best here.