View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Are relationships and marriage all the rage?

[ QUOTE ]
I often doubt the whole marriage thing. It seems pretty pointless and wrought with difficulty and unmet expectations. Hell, in the past 2 years I've met so many unhappy married people that it's ridiculous. Men and women are bored or disgusted with their mates. Some are just flat out exhausted.

An entire life with one person? yikes. I'm very cynical about the entire thing. Relationships, on the other hand, are very sweet and definitely worth the trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the majority of the time unhappy marriages/divorces are the result of people underestimating the level of commitment necessary to have a strong marital relationship. perhaps sometimes it may not have been meant to be, but imo it's more likely that at least one partner entered into the marriage for the wrong reason. when i stop and think about the numerous times i've heard girls talking about "when i get married" or "when i have kids" it is easy to see why so many marriages fail. too many people commit themselves to the institution instead of their partner, which is a failure of the parties involved, not the ideal.

edit: just to clarify my comment about women talking about marriage wasn't intended to suggest that they are generally at fault when marriages fail. just an example.