View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu\'s Latest Cardplayer Article

I enjoyed daniel's article much in the same way that I loved phil helmuth's book, "play poker like the pros." The reason is that both the article and book are written by top professionals who sometimes give very bad advice. Personally, I really appreciate the pervasive, dubious axiom that going broke several times is a prerequisite to top level play. It's one of the many things that helps keep players who have decent poker skills from populating higher limits.

There is one little discussed characteristic that separates good players from bad and that is the ability to weed out good sources of information from bad ones. I think it would be easy for many people to say, "okay, here's a guy who has made millions playing poker, he must be right." The temptation to accept their word as truth is exacerbated, at least in negreanu's case, by the fact that he often writes very insightful articles, especially when he recounts his thought processes during crucial hands in major tournaments. I think if all these celebrity poker players would just stick to that kind of analysis, they would do a lot more to help players improve their games. The few times that they deviate from commenting on their true expertise, they do serious damage to players who don't know how to separate bad information from good....and for that I thank them.