View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: 2007 Kentucky Governor’s Race – Awesome opportunity for us!!!

I'm from Lexington, go to UK, and have already voted for Beshear once, will do it again, and am looking forward to doing so again.

Beshear will, barring something really damned dramatic, will win easily. Therefore, they may be more pressing needs for our donations. That being said, I'm going to send this to the Herald-Leader. Any thoughts?

-BEGIN-

The debate about gambling in Kentucky has not focused on the most important issue involved. Much of the discussion has been about the economic benefits for the Commonwealth (which are numerous), the clamoring about crime increases (which are unproven), and the claim that gambling corrupts our children (which is baseless). But instead of focusing on these issues, we should instead be focusing on a more fundamental issue: freedom.

Freedom in this country means that we have the ability to make our own decisions about the way we conduct our lives. And if I decide that I want to gamble with my money that I have legally and legitimately earned, I should have the right to do so. And when the governor of my state says tells me that I can't, because he believes gambling is somehow immoral, I am forced to conclude that he doesn't value freedom as highly as he values telling others what they can and can't do.

I, on the other hand, do believe in freedom. I believe that our tremendous freedoms are what make the United States the greatest country in the world. That's why I'm looking forward to voting for Steve Beshear in November. He is a man who cares as much about personal freedom for Kentuckians as I do. Under his administration, Kentuckians will be able to enjoy the freedoms they deserve.