View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: The question is - \'When to quit\' ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but when you are up, don't you talk yourself to quit on some point ? cause if you are up like 3-5 buy-ins, and have lost 1-2 buy-ins, it can be treated like you down 1-2 buy-ins on a new session..i think that the abillity of quiting while you are up is not less important then you are down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quitting while up isn't smart poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. If you are up at a table at any time, in theory, you are more likely to be +EV than -EV at the table. If you are down at a table, you are more likely to be -EV at the table than +EV. Thus, if you tell yourself "I am going to quit when I'm up X buyins, and I'm going to play as long as it takes to get to X buyins," you will in theory spend much more time/hands at bad tables than at good tables.

You should stop when it's no longer profitable to continue playing, keeping in mind any other non-poker things you have to do (School, work, etc.). There is no rule of thumb for everyone to stop playing, as everyone plays different over X aount of hours. You shuold find a comfort zone for youself in how long to play. Some factors to consider when deciding how long to play:

a)How prone you are to tilting
b)How many tables you are playing
c)How tired you are BEFORE you start playing
d)How long it takes for you to go from your A game to your B game, from your B game to your C game, etc.
E)How good the tables are relative to your skill. You have have to be able to judge if you are +EV in a game if you are playing your A game, but not if you are playing your B game
F)Variance. How small of an edge are you willing to take?