View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Blue Dragon any good?

Most of the reviews affirm that it's exactly what you'd expect: an oldschool traditional style jrpg. This game scored a 37 (9/9/9/10) from Famitsu (!!). If you like jrpgs, you'll love this. If you don't then you probably won't. I think this section from the Wikipedia entry is very apt:

[ QUOTE ]

Upon closer inspection of the IGN review and several other reviews which do not at all vocalize recognition of the depth in the turn organizational strategy nor ignore the fact its turn based before moving onto the meat of explaining things, it would appear alot of the bad attention the game is drawing to itself could be attributed to the philosophy most 360 gamers abide by. Dragon Quest VIII, a game which is arguably more generic in appearence and lacks the complexity of combat was praised for its very simple 'JRPG' formula, netting high scores left and right, but PSX and PS2 owners are generally more accepting of the turn based rpg concept. The fact that Blue Dragon is presenced on the 360 may make it the black sheep in the pack, considering few reviews draw comparisons to similar RPGs nor recognise the same line of depth most Japanese RPG players would take enjoyment from, such as the keen planning system in combat or the more looser hearted plot with focus on humor and character development rather than moody or dramatic events.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a new jrpg IP, on the 360, being released in America. It's going to polarize.

Gamerankings Ratings Distributions:

I'll definitely be picking it up once I finish with Bioshock.