View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Default How did my advisor do?

A little background on me: I turned 24 in June. I am a part-time Police Officer. I am graduating from college in December with a BA in Economics. I am very disciplined with saving money. I used to trade/invest in individual stocks, but I did terrible. I also used to trade Foreign Exchange. I never really got much other of either because I basically made every mistake in the book.

Anyways,

I recently got a new financial advisor, and it's free to talk to her because it is through my bank that I am a member of.

About a year ago, I opened an account with American Funds with another advisor - a guy I met in the police academy. He hooked me up with:

EuroPacific Growth Fund 33%
The Growth Fund of America 33%
New World Fund 33%

Those 3 have done very well for me in a 1 year period.

I also had opened a Roth IRA with Fidelity back in 2004 and that has done very well for me over the past 3 years. I held two ETFs that did well, obviously through the great run of the stock market.

Now, I talk to this advisor and she suggests I liquidate my Roth IRA and transfer all of the funds to a Roth IRA with American Funds. She also wanted me to add more money to my mutual fund account.

Now, in my mutual fund account I have:

American Balanced Fund 25%
American High-Income Trust 25%
Capital World Growth and Income Fund 25%
Europacific Growth Fund 10%
The Growth Fund of America 10%
New World Fund 10%
(Those are just rough estimates) The 10% is from what I had before, and the 25% is what I added.

As soon as my Fidelity IRA is liquidated, I will have a Roth IRA that consists of:

Capital World Growth and Income Fund
The Growth Fund of America
The Investment Company of America
New World Fund

I'm assuming there will be 25% in each.