View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Getting value after the worst card in the deck hits

Thanks for the reply alewis, but I'm afraid I disagree with just about everything you've said [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
why do you check the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Two reasons: I expect pps to make up a significant part of his cold-calling range (I don't plan to call two bets), and I expect him to bet the rest of his range too. If he hits a 6-outer, fine, I'm not fighting over a big pot oop here. Given my play to this point (very tight) my flop call tells him I have something far more clearly than a bet does so I will believe a turn bet.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn is a great card for you obviously, but here you want to check to an aggressive opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

Pointless. He bets a pocket pair and probably folds to a check-raise, and checks behind everything else. If I bet, he calls with a pocket pair and often calls the river as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The river was an unfortuante card for you. An all in is a terrible move, but ironically is common among those who lose their nerves and are afraid of being 'bluffed out' after checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I descibed the river as the 'worst card in the deck' what I had in mind was that it looks to the villain like it hit my whole range. I didn't mean I think I might be behind now! In terms of the pot size allin is 'standard' as it is around three-quarters of the pot. Of course it never gets called though...

[ QUOTE ]
If he goes all in, you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has 88, nh. I'm not folding. What I want to know is, how does checking compare to betting allin or betting smaller. After he calls the turn I think he has a pp pretty much always. Does he ever call any size bet? Does he ever bluff hoping I can fold an ace or have a pp lower than an ace?