View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: A Newbie Guide to B&M Small Stakes No Limit Cash Games

A few quick points.

When raising, don't say, "I call and raise to X." That's something you only used to see in the old Bret Maverick movies, but I've heard people say that three times in the past couple of months. If you want to raise, "Raise" should probably be the first word out of your mouth.

When putting your name on the board, it's perfectly acceptable to put yourself on more than one list at a time. (My first time playing I didn't think you were allowed to bogart the 1-2, 2-4 and 3-6 lists at the same time)

Ask if there's a Bad Beat Jackpot for your game, and if so, what qualifies. Realize that other players will adjust their play wildly if they think they have a "jackpot hand."

Be consistent about chopping. If it folds around to the blinds, you don't get to chop when you have 72 and raise when you have AA. You don't get to chop from the BB against the SB who is a horrible player, and not chop when you're SB against the BB who is tough. It's OK to say, "I don't chop if it gets to five-handed, but I'll chop six-handed or more." Just be consistent. Not much pisses off B&M regulars more than some young punk coming in and selectively chopping against them and their friends.

The first and foremost rule should be Never, ever, ever, never berate another player. It doesn't matter if he caught three two-outers against you in a row. If you can't muster up an almost-genuine-sounding, "Nice hand," just don't say anything.