View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: starting bankroll..

[ QUOTE ]
hello...i want to start playing online seriously...ive been reading a few articles, and was wondering if i should start with a $50 or $200 deposit...here is why:

$200 because this is 20x the max buy-in at the lowest limits of NL on fulltilt (5 and 10 cent blinds)

and

$50 because i read an article

any thoughts on how much i should start with?

thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point of the article is that regardless of the amount you start with, you must implement effective bankroll rules so that you are not playing beyond your means. You can start with $0 like Chris Ferguson did and built to $10,000. You can start with $50 and play small entry sit 'n go's to build. Or you can deposit $200 or $600 or whatever. The key is to ensure the level you are playing at is in line with your bankroll AND your current skill level.

An added benefit (as mentioned by someone else) to starting with a smaller bankroll is that you will risk less money as you go through the required learning curve (build your skill level). You need to "pay" for the learning curve whether at the low buy-in's or at higher amounts. Starting low and building your bankroll as you learn might be more cost effective for some.

Good advice from the other posters regarding rake and bonuses. The rake adds up, especially when you move to the higher limits.