View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 AM

Default So im thinking of quitting my job,......

Approximately three months ago I got a job with a big bank. Its my first job out of university and the pay is pretty typical for entry level (40k) + time and a half overtime. The title is Derivatives Analyst (but its more like deriv. administration) The reason i am thinking of leaving is the hours are bad, i get no lunch break (eat at my desk) and its a thankless job). Its fund administration, so backoffice work, something that does not interest me as a long term career. It is fulltime so I do get benefits, paid vacation/time off ect.

I have this potential other offer in Global Risk Management at another big bank. I don’t really understand what the job is, but its tempting considering I really don’t enjoy the other job. The problem is its a one year contract (so no benefits, vacation etc i would assume). The pay is 45k and the hours are a lot more reasonable. There is also more upward mobility etc.

My question is, if the 2nd job is offered to me, is it a bad/dumb move to just quit? What if the offer is to start right away and I can't give 2 weeks? I don't want to ruin any chance in working at the first bank in the future. Do I put the first job on the resume for future positions, or does that raise too many questions as I would have only stayed there three months? Can I just email my resignation, is there a proper way to approach it?

Thanks for any help.