View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Are microstakes beatable?

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a decent player at NLHE, I usually win at my home games that I play but when I play online at .05/.1 I feel like the beginner players act so irrationally that I find it very difficult to beat them. They chase everything and always seem to hit.

Should I consider moving up a step in the limits or will it not matter at microstakes?

Am I not as good as I think I am (very possible) or are these games just very difficult to beat?

Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing 100bb or deeper microstacks with players that really are this bad, then just tighten up and nut peddle. It's boring, but you'll make money as a set farmer if the opposition thinks any top pair is the nuts. And if you think you're a "TAG," but you don't have PokerTracker, then I bet that you are a lot looser than you think. Get PT, watch your statistics, and post questionable hands in the 2+2 forums.

And as for bad players always chasing and always catching their draws, I think you'll find that, on average, they catch flush draws about 9 out of 47 times on the turn when they have 4 to a flush, and then about 9 out of 46 times on the river if they didn't catch on the turn.

I think you probably aren't playing as well as you think you are. Tighten up. Play good cards fast. Earn a nice, small, consistent win rate, like 3BB/100 for 100K+ hands, then move up and repeat. If you win more, well that's nice. But 3BB/100 is just fine too. Even 2BB/100 will earn you enough to move up pretty quickly.

Whatever you do, don't move up because you expect to do better when you start playing the better player at the higher level. It just doesn't work that way.