View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: NAFTA etc no longer can hold back inflation?

Thoughts:

What does NAFTA have to do with anything?

[ QUOTE ]
1.008 billion in federal subsidies to open new stores.

1.55 billion in federal aid to employees to subsidize their income.

[/ QUOTE ] This doesn't really matter--it represents less than 1% of the company's sales. I'd prefer to have this money go somewhere less pointless, though. Also, this is extremely vague (and most likely manipulative) language.

[ QUOTE ]
Lee Scott, CEO of WalMart earned 27.2 million in 2005.
Avg Wal Mart hrly employee: 13.8k.

[/ QUOTE ] Not at all uncommon or exceptional for America or any other developed nation.

That figure is, it shuold be noted, starkly different from what the Yahoo! Finance Wal Mart Profile says. These are much, much more in line with what I know to be true: my friend's father was a Wal-Mart executive and made less than $1m/year.

[ QUOTE ]
Wal Mart paid 50 million in fines for cheating employees out of hrs worked.

[/ QUOTE ]It is wrong not to pay people for hours worked. Wal-Mart is trying to train store managers not to do this, according to said friend's father.

[ QUOTE ]
A WAL-MART Worker may donate money from their paycheck to the CRITICAL NEED FUND, a program to aid other employees in times of crisis, like a fire or tornado.
In 2004, WAL-MART Employees gave OVER $5 MILLION to help fellow workers

Source: Form 990, Wal-Mart Associates in Critical Need Fund, 2004

The Walton Family gave $6,000

[/ QUOTE ] Your point being?

Wal-Mart had the fastest and most meaningful reponses to one of the biggest crises in recent American history: Hurricane Katrina.

Any idea what the actual corporation payed to this fund? Corporations are people too, you know.