View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Who are you? Personal / Poker background

Name: Michael
27 years old.
Living with my girlfriend, we've been together for 8 years now, no plans of getting married or having children.
I own the appartment we live in and we're currently contemplating buying a house.
Got my masters degree in electronical engineering in 2004, and currently work as a support engineer for a major telecom company. The work is boring as hell, but I have nice colleagues and the pay + the vast amount of freedom in this job makes it hard to motivate myself to write applications.
Spend my freetime playing golf (only game that tilts me more than poker), playing (very little) badminton or hanging out with friends. I enjoy a nice meal, wine and beer a lot more than working out which unfortunately shows. I used to be a decent footballer (real football, not American) but I don't think I'll ever get in shape to play again.

I started playing poker after completing my masters thesis when I was unemployed. I deposited $50 and got a few free books, I started out winning then lost down to the initial $50 and withdrew that since I hate losing (yeah, I'm probably the most unballa person in the world). I studied the books I got, started reading 2p2, deposited again and started winning slowly but steadily. Somewhere along the line I decided to switch to 6-max and start losing money. After a while I got sick of this and decided to get some coaching and it really helped. However I have always had a very easy time understanding written concepts but also sucked at applying them in practice so my "major poker breakthrough" was when I signed up at stoxpoker and watched the videos there. At this time I started winning at 6-max, but still enjoyed a nice 500+ BB downswing this spring. I'm up to playing 5/10-10/20 now and hope that I can stay there for a while. I probably play less poker than most of you with only about 5000 hands of LHE per month. I'm trying to learn NL and it's much easier to get some hands in there. Finally I think that 95% of my posts here suck and that my only real contribution to this forum is the hand swaps which I hope people find useful.