View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Buying a car to have fun in

The other thread got locked, I thought that was lame, kind of a weak op as he left out some details, but I want to talk about it so:

here is a pm from gordo:

I really want both. I’m leaning toward the 350z because I think it would be more dependable but I’ve always wanted a 911. I’m looking for a fast cruiser that I can put 2 or 3 100 mile trips a month on while occasionally blowing off some steam on the back roads

For a fast older convertible, Id seriously look at some muscle cars from the sixties/seventies, depending on what kind of roads you are driving on, you can probably find a sweet 69 stingray for about 20k. You may even be able to find one for 10 to 12k, and get 8k worth of paint/engine upgrades etc, if not a 68 mustang convertible with an after market 351 would be killer. If you want something a little more modern, I wouldnt go with an 80s porshe, they arent as fast as youd assume. Personally, a 350z imo, is a waste of 20k for a "fun" car, I just dont like it, and would like my "fun" cars to have a little more personality.

edit: when my brother was 18, he found a 69 t-top corvette for 4k, it was in running shape, it rattled, but if you have the time, and are willing to sink 16k in a revamp, this would be one helluva car. Also, something I totally forgot about:

a reproduction cobra can be had for about 20k. these things are killer w/ a 427

If you dont necessarily want to go fast, go with a wrangler, nothing better than an old CJ with the doors off, and top gone, with big tires to tool around in.