View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: good stock/bond mix?

27 years old, 70/30, that is definitely not an incorrect allocation.

Others may provide more specific comments, but if you're looking for a very simple answer, it would be "That looks great for your age group."

Now, to get less simple, I'm going to try this: if you are planning on buying a house within 4 years, an amount equal to at least the down payment must be set aside in safe investments; by this I am pretty sure I mean CDs, high-yield savings, a money market fund, or other such vehicles. NOT anything with a real risk of loss. I *believe* that bonds do not qualify here.

Is the above mix (200k) your total net worth? Or do you also have significant amounts in bank accounts, etc? If it is your total net worth, you will likely need to adjust your saving a bit, as you will be taking money away from your contributions to the above and into safe harbors for the home purchase.

I make this post with the hopes of learning from the criticism towards it. I would appreciate more responses on the topic of his home-purchase, especially if they address what I just said.