View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: BIOSHOCK DEMO on XBox Live right now

[ QUOTE ]

Actually that's kind of cool I think. Kinda made me sneer when I first heard about it but then I realized that this is exactly what I'd be hoping more games would start doing. I think we're gonna see more and more no-death gameplay as gaming cements its place in the mainstream & as gamers get busier & older, I think that's good thing. Maybe now that such a huge critical hit has done it, it'll really start becoming common. Death in games is kinda an ancient relic of the quarter-hungry arcade era, isn't it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next step games need to take is make it so that you constantly are walking the line between life and death while rarely crossing over. If I'm some super soldier or whatever in a game, I don't want to break up the realism and immersiveness by constantly respawning and/or loading save games, but I also want to feel like I'm always close to failing. Look at any good action movie, say the Bourne movies since I've seen them recently, he always is in control of the situation, but he's always walking with a limp, with a bullet wound, on the edge of flipping his car over. I'm not sure how that kind of tension could be programmed into a game, but it would increase the level of immersion so much if it happens. Maybe some sort of adaptive AI that gets less lethal as you inch closer to death while still seeming formidable, I don't know, but I don't think a simple respawn gimmick works in anything other than a GTA/Crackdown cartoon type world.