View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, this is America, and many Americans that dislike group of people use selective history to paint the entire group with the same brush as if to justify their hate. How ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about? For starters, all people do this, not just Americans, it's called bias. But, who is doing this in the thread? My reason for mentioning the crusades is that they were following the letter of the Law as outlined in the magical book you all point to.

If your God intentionally created entire nations of people that he knew would not believe in Him and get destroyed, then I don't want to follow his lead and neither should anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never implied that only Americans acted like that, hardly.

My "god" is irrelevant in conversation because I'm not even sure if one exists. Of course, it shouldn't have been relevent even if I did believe in one, but whatever. If you read the entire thread you would know that I am an agnostic. My previous posts stated simply stated that there are Christians that support what you say, and Christians that are altruistic (read previous posts for citing). If you can't see this then there is no help for you, and I won't pleasure you with another post. I am attacking the way people like you seem to paint all Christians with the same brush. You seem to cite the specific passages in Bible to prove a point? What is your point? It is in the Bible therefore all Christians believe we should murder everyone? Get real. Certain sects of Christianity believe that every passage in the Bible is should be taken literally (I can see your point if you believe all Christians think like this) while others believe that much of the Bible was written by man and favor a much looser translation. Even then, there are individuals in these sects that have thier own beliefs. In most religions you find passages that contradict each other. Some can be interpreted that war is good, some would say war is wrong, even in the Bible. This is why most religious practitioners in the 21st century have to pick and choose passages that fit their beliefs. This is why you find anti-war Christians, pro-war Christians, liberal Christians, conservative Christians, Christians that believe they should convert everyone, christians that don't etc etc.

Francis of Assisi was anti-war who did not believe in forced conversion who drew his inspiration from the Bible. Of course, he does not fit your disturbing view of Christians so I guess he isn't relevant in this conversation. I guess the Christians that influenced classical liberalism and humanism aren't relevent to you eithier. (Kant's Golden Rule "Do unto others" was taken straight from the Bible, which influenced the untilitarians view of the harm principle, a moral concept still found in secular society)

I've given plenty of examples throughout history of Christians that don't fit the examples you put them in, which also followed the passages of the bible. (please look at previous posts) But no, your attack against a relgion is to find specific passages that most of the practitioners no longer follow. Do you spend this much time discrediting Muslims and Buddhists? I highly doubt it, because judging by the harshness of your post I'm not surprised that your parents forced religion on you and this is your way of getting back at them (this is my exprerience with most atheists, after all, your arguments can be applied to all religions, yet you chose a specific one, you obviously have some specific spite towards this religion caused by who knows what)