View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: little cousin getting pushed around

blarg,

My last post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'll try to explain my thinking. We are talking about 5 year olds. There really aren't bullies (at least as far as most of us define bully) at that age. Some kids are just more physical than others. Obviously, there should not be an environment where 5-year olds are allowed to fight (sanctioned death matches in gyms not withstanding), but I think I need more evidence of a problem outside of the usual 1st day of school stuff that happens everywhere before I hit the panic button.

When schools get a batch of kindergartners they have no history or background on the kids. The teachers and school administrators need some time to assess which kids are likely to cause disruptions to the learning process. I would hope that if the parents truly feel their child is in any danger, they would go to the school and talk to the teacher and principal. That's what my wife and I do any time we feel the need to get involved what goes on during the school day.

If a kid has never been to a formal school, it is normal to expect a period of adjustment. Going from being the center of the universe with Mom and Dad to just one of 25 cogs in a classroom is not an easy adjustment for every child. I'm not excusing the behavior, but I am much less alarmed about 5 year olds getting physical then say 3rd or 4th graders.