Thread: PPA Update.
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: PPA Update.

[ QUOTE ]

As for BluffTHIS’ “PPA Update”:

1) The issues with the board are still what they are.
2) BluffTHIS is correct, the PPA isn’t lobbying to neuter the regs. I expressed my thoughts that they should, but they won’t.
3) PPA states they’d like to engage the 2p2 community, but have not yet done anything in this area. In fairness, they do respond to me whenever I ask them a question, but I can’t relay every question we have via email. A PPA presence here would help.
4) I discussed the KY gubernatorial elections with John (if Beshear wins, Kentuckians will vote on a constitutional amendment allowing poker; if Fletcher wins, he promises he’ll stop any expansion of gambling in KY). They have an interest and will make a determination. If they do, we’ll see them in action and will be able to critique their performance. If they sit this out, that would make quite the statement as well.
5) We, the PPA members, control the organization. When we don’t like something, we need to write or post on their forums demanding action. I have been, as have a few others here. I’ve seen what a few hundred dedicated folks here can accomplish, and can only imagine what could be done with 660,000. I’m still constrained to imaging, but am hopeful.
6) I think they’re sincere in wishing to improve in terms of member outreach and in grassroots effort building. Of course, sincerity and results aren’t the same thing. Time will tell.

So, I’d say I’m guardedly optimistic. They’re not contemplating anything with the energy level of what we do here, but they are looking at how to enable their members to do stuff like that within PPA. Again, time will tell. I’ll post more after the announcement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to Mr. Pappas and report back to us here on same, and as well to specifically respond to the points I made earlier.

However although I too am "guardedly optimistic" about the overall situation, it has nothing to do with the PPA, but rather with the ongoing actions in congress, the judicial arena and the WTO. Re the PPA, all you have confirmed is that they only support a very small subset of the larger set of goals most of us here support, and largely act at the behest of the goals of the online sites and poker media, especially Party Poker. If we do end up with some favorable outcome in the legislative area, IMO it will only be 30% at best because of the PPA, and 70% despite them. And if it weren't for this 2+2 forum and the activities of its members, especially yourself at the grassroots level, the PPA wouldn't have a chance of accomplishing diddly squat.