View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: KK86 in the CO and flop a set

[ QUOTE ]
First off...calling with KK86 is never good on the button or CO?

[/ QUOTE ]luckbalks - "Never" is not the word I would use. KK86 with one suited king is a very speculative starting hand in limit Omaha-8. I don't know about pot limit.

Your low possibilities stink. Omaha-8 is a high/low game, and a game where you want to scoop, but your low possibilties stink.

The way I play, there are only four decent lows: A2WZ, A3WZ, 23WZ, and A4WZ. In all these cases, W is a different wheel back-up card and Z is anything. That's just my opinion and I don't feel like arguing about it or explaining it. A4WZ is really stretching it, but is included because A4 is a much better two-card combination than 23.

At any rate the 6-8 combo stinks, as does the K-8-off-suit combo. (In other words, half the two card combos in the hand, 8-6 and K-8 are absolutely horrid two-card combos). The K-6-suited combo is very weak but not absolutely horrid. Only K-K is decent.

So, yes, it is not a very good starting hand.

And then, although you flop a set of kings, you still want the board to pair and you have one of your own outs for the board pairing in your own hand. Instead of the normal 7 outs for the board to pair on the turn when you flop a set, you only have 6 outs.

Anyhow, you bet the pot on the first betting round, which seems proper to me.

But then you get two callers. Ugh.

And then when the turn is an ace, UTG+1 pots. And that pot sized bet, should you call, will enable UTG+1 to put you all-in on the next betting round. Thus your potential cost to possibly win half of the $29.75 in the pot is $96.35-$9.75=$86.60.

Do you want to risk $86.60 to possibly win $14.88?

I wouldn't.

It's a good bet by UTG+1. You cannot tell if he has AAXY, 23XY, both, or neither. But the risk is not worth the possible gain.

It's an easy fold.

Assuming you did fold, I don't think you played horribly. The ace on the turn was bad luck for you. Sometimes you get a bad card on the turn, which coupled with a shrewd bet, makes it impossible for you to continue.

Buzz