View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Best Films of the 21st Century

[ QUOTE ]
10. Mulholland Drive, David Lynch, 2001

Mind-altering. That's the only way I can describe Lynch's film. You don't go into this one expecting to "figure it out." You go and let the colors, the music, the emotion wash over you like a dream. It shouldn't work: it has characters coming and going without any relation to what's supposed to be the plot; actors changing character in mid-movie; an ending that poses more questions than it answers...but it does work. Somehow, Lynch has concocted a feverish nightmare of a movie that only grows more insane - yet seductive - with each subsequent viewing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie absolutely blew me away. This scene in particular is just incredibly powerful, imo. I actually can't bring myself to watch it again because my experience seeing it in the theatre was so... intense, I find myself putting down the DVD and watching Anchorman or something again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think alot of viewers (myself included) enjoy working through the myriad "solutions" to the temporal fragmentation issues in the plot, and coming to some sort of conclusion. But I agree with Dom, I don't even think that's critical in truly enjoying this movie. I think it ends up being a much more visceral appreciation than cerebral one.

Question - how is this movie considered in the Lynch oeuvre, and also film history in general? I have no sense of this, but recall critical acclaim when it came out.

-Al