View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: how to convince potential players of a fundamental rule?

One of my home games has this rule. 30% of the players are decent and have an understanding of the fundamentals of the game. The other 70% are either newbies or believe that luck is really what allows them to win. At first I was always annoyed by anyone raising $1 into a $10 bet. However as time went on and I got a little better I realized that in reality these players are only hurting themselves. The good players at this game never(*) do this, because they know it really only hurts their long term EV. Granted sometimes it reopens the betting, but in reality for those 70% it does not matter.

(*) A few exceptions I have noticed
(1) When I have a MONSTER, I can "donk" around with these little "less than min raise bets", and get folks calling me or reraising my "less than min raise bets", when they would fold to a "real" bet or raise. Its a big laugh when someone does it, and almost no one folds!!!!
(2) I pay attention when one of those "good 30%" folks make one of the "less than min raise bets", and drop my hand fast. See (1).

Someone said something like "when in Rome ...." Hell yea. These folks are gong to drop their money to you. However you must play your "A" "ABC" game, because the variance will be high.