View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: What languages do you speak? read? write?

As for me:

English - native speaker
Irish - speak/read/write OK, learnt it in school
French - read it well, speak and understand and write it moderately well. I learnt it in school and spent 6 weeks in a school in Paris. Also some of my family lives in France, I've been back there a few times since.
German - probably a little bit better than French. Learnt it in school and spent 4 weeks in a school in Konstanz. I've been there once since.
Latin - studied it for 3 years in school. Used to be able to read it pretty well and struggle through writing it. With a bit of practice I could pick it up again.
Spanish - due to so much Latin and French I could read a little, and had read a few newspaper/magazine articles before this year. Went travelling in South America this year and picked up a little conversational Spanish, not much more than phrasebook standard. Can't really write it at all. Can read a tiny bit of Portuguese and Italian as well, but coming from French and Latin I found Spanish much easier.

I've thought of trying to learn another language (Spanish/Chinese/Russian), but I've got so lazy and unmotivated in recent years.