View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: What languages do you speak? read? write?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a second language. However, I have always wondered about the thought process of people who are fluent in more than one language. Specifically, when you speak a foreign language do you think in your own language and then translate or do you think and speak in that language?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People have asked me that question many times, and in the beginning, I would say the first 4 years of learning English in America, I was still translating stuff into Chinese in my mind process during a conversation. As time progresses the process becomes faster and eventually it reaches a point where I can process in both languages, where my Chinese level fell to meet the rising level of English.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a period of time where I started having dreams in spanish, which was both really cool and really weird. I also somehow managed to speak english in epic hexameter once but I think that was just a fluke.