View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: What would be your idea of a perfect society?

[ QUOTE ]
Say I want to sell my state-provided land to Borodog so I can send my kid to Germany to get a cutting-edge cancer treatment only being done in Berlin, am I allowed to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, great setup.

If I say "yes", then nobody is guaranteed land-ownership, because medical circumstance can force them back into landlessness.

But if I say "no", then I'm denying a child life-saving cancer-treatment.

Either way, I'm an evil man (I'm probably a communist too, apparantly).

Anyway, way to go.

But while we're thinking about this, I'm curious: what do you propose doing about the 43 million Americans who are in this exact same position right now -- except that homelessness and poverty are virtually guaranteed if their kids get that same rare cancer?

(note: my actual solution would be to have full medical education be part of the educational package for my country, so that kids with cancer wouldn't have to go to Germany to get treatment, because great medical care would be available right in their own communities, at no cost).

AFAIC, anyone who is willing and capable of being a doctor should have every chance to become one -- and this is also a matter of public interest. Failure to recognize this is the reason why your hypothetical child has to choose between homelessness and surviving cancer.

q/q