View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Why is this forum entitled Science/Math/Philosophy

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, most of the posts are concerning religion? What is it about religion and religious debate in general that people find so captivating?
It seems that in a lot of these posts, people are wasting their time trying to use evidence to convince people who do not rely on evidence to form their understanding of the world; and vice versa, with the religious minded relying on faith based reasoning. These appear to be two completely orthogonal mindsets; how can constructive debate ever occur?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears to me that a lot of people are just trying to prove they are smart and other people are dumb. I believe I've seen it twice in the last week, an atheist asserting that theists have lower IQs or some such nonsense.

My question is, why should there be any debate instead of dialogue? As Christian, paleoanthropolgist, teacher of genetic theory, I have no problem at all with any part of my belief system.

The real explanation is the list owner, our own poker author extraordinaire, David Sklansky, keeps pouring gasoline on the fires he lights himself. He likes these little contretemps.

And as far as someone saying the Christians are in here trying to evangelize the board, you are kidding right? The Christians are definitely the underdogs around here. Where are all these threads about Jesus? (Hey, maybe I'll start one....) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]