View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Why is this forum entitled Science/Math/Philosophy

You should state the difference between philosophical and scientifical discussion of religion.

The philosophical is most of what you see here, arguments for/against God or God's characteristics, desires, etc.

The scientifical kind is about the study of the cultural phenomenon of religion as a belief system and how it arised and evolved in every single human society.

I know you meant the philosophical, but I still think you should mention this just so people won't get it wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
What is it about religion and religious debate in general that people find so captivating?

[/ QUOTE ]

So many people are religious, that religion becomes an substantial portion of popular philosophy. If these shallower philosophy arguments disturb you, I suggest you find yourself a more elitist forum.

[ QUOTE ]
how can constructive debate ever occur?

[/ QUOTE ]

Debate usually doesn't progress much. Rational people are using rational arguments against people who can't/won't use proper rational thinking, at least on this issue. But every once in a while, we skeptics change the mind of a couple mild believers. So it does serve a purpose.