View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Ethics of stalling vs. EV

[ QUOTE ]

This is not a "valid strategy"...it is a despicable angle shoot. You would not be allowed to do this in a live tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, angle shoot. I'm not tricking anyone though. I'm not circumventing a rule. I'm just ignoring ediquette. As someone else said, how is it going to be stopped? I get a certain amount of time for each decision. If I take the full time for each move, what are they going to penalize me on?

[ QUOTE ]
It is also at most a tiny EV gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I asked at what stakes someone would consider it. Say it's 4 people and the prize diff between 1st and 4th is $1 mil, equal chips. By chip count I'm 25% to get 1st, but by skill I'm say 15%. If I increase my shot at 1st by 1% by playing slow, that's $10,000. I'm pretty content to slow the game down for a few hours to increase my EV by $10,000.

[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, if you really believe that stalling is the good tactic for you at a given stake, then you should be playing much lower stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well duh. I could satellite to something like a WSOP and luck into a FT appearance (donks do, all the time). Few of the players in the WSOP are playing within their bankroll. They're on a vacation of sorts.

This is sort of all theoretical, just a thought. Calling it a "dispicable angleshoot" is pretty harsh. Seems a heck of a lot less dispicable than pretending to be nice to a chronic gambler and encouraging him to rebuy because he's due to run hot...